Growing up my Mom always made Chili for Halloween. If you need a good soup recipe for tomorrow, you found it. This creamy bisque makes for the perfect comfort food. It pairs well with my Apple Hazelnut Salad and no one will even know it is vegan and paleo.
Ready in 1 hour Serves 6 people
- 1 cup soaked raw cashews
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups cubed roasted butternut squash
- 2 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup cashew cream
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Fresh ground pepper
- In a bowl, cover cashews with water and let sit for 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain cashews and discard water.
- Add the cashews to a high speed blender along with the rest of the cashew cream ingredients.
- Blend on high until creamy and smooth. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut butternut squash into cube size pieces and add to the pan.
- Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and a dash of sea salt and pepper.
- Mix until butternut squash is evenly coated and roast for 40-50 minutes or until golden and a little crispy.
- In a soup pan or dutch oven, add in roasted butternut squash, chicken broth and cashew cream.
- Using an immersion blender*, blend until creamy and no clumps remain.
- Add in the seasonings and top with a little cashew cream and vegan/paleo sausage and a dash more nutmeg.
You can sub in half and half for the cashew cream
If you do not have an immersion blender, a regular blender will work as well. A food processor should also work, you may just need to mix in batches