When I lived in Anchorage, a local restaurant did a cookie skillet with caramel sauce and ice cream on top. They served it warm and it was to die for. I still think about it so I decided to create a paleo and egg free version. The caramel sauce is optional but highly encouraged. Serve in slices or eat it straight from the pan.
Ingredients Cookie Skillet:
- 1 flax eggs
- 7 tablespoons softened unsalted grass-fed butter
- 6 tablespoons maple sugar
- 1/3 cup unsalted cashew butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ¾ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 10 almond butter cups or 1 cashew chocolate Hu Kitchen bar
Caramel Pecan Sauce: (optional)
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons pecan butter (I used salted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash of salt (if your nut butter is not salted)
- Add 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed and 2.5 Tbsp of boiling water and let sit for at least 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (except chopped almond butter cups).
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and maple sugar.
- Then add the vanilla extract, flax egg, and cashew butter to the mixing bowl. Mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix until a sticky dough is formed.
- Fold in the almond butter cups.
- Spray cake pan with coconut oil and evenly spread out the dough.
- Sprinkle the remainder of almond butter cups pressing them down slightly.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350(F) degrees.
- Bake for 15-22 minutes (mine took about 18, it should look a little underdone in the middle).
- If making caramel pecan sauce, while the cookie skillet is baking, in a small saucepan over medium heat, add all the ingredients for the caramel pecan sauce. Whisk until all the ingredients are mixed and become smooth.
- Bring to a boil and whisk continuously for about a minute or until the sauce starts to thicken up.
- Allow to cool for at least 15 minutes before serving and drizzle with caramel pecan sauce..
- Best enjoyed with vanilla ice cream on top. Enjoy!
** The cashew butter I used had salt in it, if yours doesn’t you may want to up the amount of salt you add to ¼ teaspoon. If you don’t have almond butter cups just add chocolate chips!