Rich buttery toffee and melted chocolate all without refined sugar? What could be better? Seriously though, this dessert has all the Christmas feels and is such a decadent treat for neighbors, family, or yourself!
I had multiple failed attempts before perfecting this recipe so please take the time to read my tips before making it! I promise the arm workout is worth the end result.
Ready in 30 minutes
- 8 tablespoons (½ cup) grass fed butter
- ¾ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup maple sugar(you can sub for all coconut sugar if you do not have maple)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional (but strongly encouraged): ¾ cup paleo chocolate chips melted
- Optional: Crushed nuts for topping
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Set your candy thermometer in the pan and set an alert for 290 degrees F.
- In a medium sized saucepan, over medium heat, add the butter, coconut & maple sugar and sea salt and stir until melted and it comes to a boil.
- Whisking constantly (like do not stop, your arm should be tired) cook until the temperature reaches 290 degrees F. (this will take around 15 minutes). Your mixture will bubble and should become a dark amber color.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and spread on the cookie sheet.
- Allow it to set for a couple minutes and then top with melted chocolate and crushed nuts if doing.
- Push the nuts down lightly with your hands and allow it to cool at room temperature for a couple more minutes.
- Place in the fridge until chocolate is hardened. Break apart and enjoy!
You NEED a candy thermometer. Trust me on this! Make sure you are using a heavy saucepan. Keep the heat constant- It is going to seem like it is taking awhile and you will want to turn the heat up but do not do it. It will cause your butter and sugar to separate. Do not stop whisking- just think of it as an arm workout.