I was craving a creamy lasagna but wanted it to be a bit healthier and lighter. This lower carb, dairy free and paleo version is delicious! It is so creamy, I promise you will not even miss the dairy! This Eggplant Lasagna for the perfect meal on a cold December night.
Ready in 1 hour and 30 minutes Serves 6-8 people
- 2 cups raw cashews soaked (in water for at least 4 hours)
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- ⅓ cup diced Cremini mushroom
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 zucchini diced
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Fine sea salt & fresh ground pepper to taste
- 3- 4 medium/large eggplant’s
- 1 ½ cups marinara sauce
To make the cashew sauce- combine soaked and drained cashews, fresh water (do not use what you soaked the cashews in), lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, sea salt and dijon mustard in a high speed blender. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice your eggplant lengthwise into ½ inch to ¾ inch slices.
- Add to the cookie sheet and brush with olive oil and salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes and flip the eggplant at the halfway mark.
- Combine 1 cup of cashew cream and 1 ½ cups of marinara sauce in a large bowl and stir until combined (see notes)*
- To make the filling, in a large skillet over medium high heat add avocado oil, yellow onion, mushroom and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the zucchini, ground turkey, salt and pepper and cook until ground turkey is cooked.
- Add ⅓ cup of cashew marina mixture to prevent it from drying out.
- In a 9”x9” square baking dish add ¾ cup cashew marinara sauce on the bottom, then add cooked eggplant, ½ of the turkey filling and drizzle cashew cream. Repeat this step again.
- If you have enough eggplant, add another layer and pour the rest of the cashew marinara on top. Then drizzle with cashew cream.
- Bake at 350 Degrees F for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly.
If you want it to be more tomatoey, you do not have to add cashew cream. Just use 2 ½ cups marinara sauce For storage, keep covered in the refrigerator up to 4 days. To make ahead of time, make cashew cream and turkey filling and store in the fridge. Or prepare lasagna completely and store in the fridge up to 4 hours before baking