I love chili because I am a toppings girl. If you eat chili without toppings it is like fries without ranch. Just sad.
For a long time I stayed away from all legumes which meant I needed to make a beanless chili. Even though I am able to tolerate some beans now, this is hands down my favorite chili. It just has the best flavor, is full of great ingredients and is ready in under an hour!
Ready in 60 minutes Serves 6 people
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 sweet potato diced
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey*
- 2 ½ tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt (or to taste)
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup Rao’s marinara sauce or tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth (or more if you like a thinner chili)*
- Dash of Cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a large soup pan, over medium high heat, add the avocado oil, onion, red pepper, and sweet potato and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add in ground turkey and yellow squash.
- Break the ground turkey apart with a spoon and cook for 5 minutes or until it is browned.
- Add all the seasonings and stir until well combined.
- Add the broth and marinara sauce, stirring until combined.
- Reduce to a low medium simmer for 30 minutes (lid off), stirring occasionally.
- Enjoy it with your favorite toppings!
To make vegan, use your choice of beans ( I like black and navy beans) and vegetable broth If you want the chili to simmer for longer, put the heat on low