Anyone else have blueberries in your fridge or freezer? Growing up in Alaska we would always pick blueberries in August and September. So before I go all pumpkin and apple, I thought I would share my mini blueberry scone recipe. I personally like mini size but if you like the bakery style size just double the recipe! These are paleo, egg free and easily made vegan by using vegan butter.
- 1 flax egg
- 3 tablespoons unsalted grass-fed or vegan butter softened and cubed
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 3 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ cup frozen or fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened nut milk
- Make flax egg by combining 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 2.5 tablespoons boiling water and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the almond flour, tapioca flour, baking powder, and fine sea salt in a medium sized bowl. Using either a pastry cutter, two forks, or your hands, mix in the cubed butter until the mixture comes together in pea sized crumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix together the flax egg, maple syrup, and vanilla. Pour over the flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Fold in the frozen blueberries (do not thaw before) or fresh.
- Cover dough and freeze for thirty minutes. Freezing the dough makes it much easier to handle.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread a little tapioca flour on it.
- Take the dough out of the freezer and place on floured parchment paper. Form an 8 inch disk and cut with a knife cut into 8 wedges. Freeze the cut dough for 10 minutes.
- Take out of the freezer and pull the scones at least 2 to 3 inches apart.
- Brush scones with nut milk and bake for 18-25 (mine took 22) minutes or until golden on top.
- Sprinkle with paleo powdered sugar if desired and enjoy!
** They are best served warm right out of the oven. Store in the fridge for 5 days or at room temperature for a couple. ** If you want to make big bakery style scones you can double this recipe but you may need to bake it for longer