I am a big fan of Funfetti cake so I wanted to make it for my birthday this year. However, don’t wait until your birthday to make this. We can always find a reason to celebrate right? This recipe is easy and can be paleo and vegan with a few tweaks. I cannot find paleo sprinkles, so unfortunately those have refined sugar but they are dye free. Also, if you are vegan, just use vegan butter instead of grass-fed. If possible use a stick butter and not the spreadable kind. Enjoy!
FUNFETTI CAKE (PALEO & VEGAN FRIENDLY)
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 5 tablespoons boiling water
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Simple Mills vanilla cake mix
- 6 Tablespoons grass-fed butter softened (can also use vegan butter)
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons vegan cashew cream cheese
- ½ cup + 3 tablespoons paleo powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325F and grease 2 round 8 x 8 pans.
- Add 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed and 5 tablespoons cup boiling water and let sit for 15- 20 minutes.
- Add flax eggs, apple sauce, melted coconut oil, water, and vanilla to a bowl and stir until it is mixed together.
- Add in the cake mix and mix until combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles (add as many or as little as you want).
- Place batter in prepared pans and spread evenly in both.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes (baking instructions on the box).
- Let cool completely for 10 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Wait until the cake is completely cooled before icing.
- Add butter, cashew cream cheese, and powdered sugar into a bowl and mix until combined (I used a hand mixer).
- Fold in sprinkles. Enjoy!